FoWS have obtained details from northern about the introduction of increased service frequencies as promised in the Arriva franchise contract.
Unfortunately delays to engineering projects in the south have had a knock-on effect on the availability of extra trains for northern so many of the improvements planned for December this year have been deferred 6 months.
However, we are pleased to confirm that our suggestion that Sunday improvements could start without the additional trains being ready has been accepted and thus:
- From Dec’ 2017 Walkden will have an improved Sunday service with 2 trains per hour (tph) in each direction from 8am to 6pm and an hourly service until 10pm
- In May 2018 all other services changes:
- 4 tph (each direction) during the daytime and 2 tph evening
- All services will continue to serve Victoria as now, but many will continue beyond Victoria including:
- 1 tph Southport to Leeds via Brighouse
- 1 Southport to Burnley/Blackburn via Todmorden
- 1 Kirkby-Rochdale
By the of end 2019 all Pacer trains should be withdrawn from service and all northern trains will either be new or refurbished.