Disabled Access for Passengers at WalkdenJanuary 18, 2009
FOWS get a lot of enquiries about access to Walkden station for disabled or mobility impaired passengers, so we’ve compiled this list of advice and handy information that we hope you will find useful.
All the information is correct to the best of our knowledge, but for clarification or further details please do check with Northern Rail (contact details below).
There are 42 stairs and a 17-inch step up to the trains at Walkden station – obstacles which can cause great discomfort to many passengers, and which prevent some people from getting to the trains at all. But did you know …
1) Northern Rail has a Disabled People’s Protection Policy (DPPP) which begins “Northern Rail Limited is committed to providing excellent customer care for disabled passengers, ensuring they enjoy the best possible access and journey comfort when travelling with us”
The DPPP is available in a variety of formats from Northern Customer Relations by calling 0845 600 8008 or text-phone 0845 604 5608 or can be downloaded from Northern’s website here
2) Atherton station has a lift from street level to the platform and is served by all trains that stop at Walkden.
3) By prior arrangement Northern Rail will provide a free taxi for disabled passengers to/from Atherton station.
Northern’s DPPP states “Where necessary we will provide an accessible form of road transport between an inaccessible station, and the nearest accessible station on the passenger’s desired route or intermediate point required by the passenger”.
Please call Northern Customer Relations to arrange this service giving 24-hours notice if possible (0845 600 8008 or text-phone 0845 604 5608).
4) Portable ramps are carried on all Northern Rail trains and staff have been instructed to deploy them for any passenger requesting assistance – you do not have to be in a wheelchair or registered disabled.
5) A Disabled Person’s Railcard costs £18 a year and entitles the holder and a travelling companion to a 33% discount on most rail fares